10 months ago Phil started the Action Canada Fellowship alongside 11 other young leaders and changemakers. Today his task force policy report, “Growing the Next Crop of Canadian Farmers” has been published online!
Along with Chardaye Bueckert, Jean-Sébastien Blais, and Melana Roberts, they asked how can Canada create a more sustainable and resilient agricultural sector by reducing barriers for new-entrant farmers, particularly for under-represented groups – women, visible minorities, immigrants, youth and Indigenous Peoples?
Their 6 recommendations:
1. Increase accessibility of programs and services.
2. Lower barriers to capital to stimulate growth.
3. Protect land to increase affordability for new entrants.
4. Transfer knowledge to build capacity.
5. Improve farmer work to retain and attract skilled labour.
6. Invest in local sustainable food systems to revitalize rural economies.
Check out the full report here.
Special thanks to Filipino-Canadian artist Bert Monterona who produced this original painting for the report cover. Check out his work here: https://bertmonterona.com/